Teddy Roosevelt Weekend is one of Newcomb’s favorite events with fun things to see and do for the whole family. A great deal of planning, preparation and scheduling by dedicated committee members always brings a variety of activities all throughout town, all weekend long. Some are centered around the anniversary of TR’s famous trek out of Mt. Marcy’s wilderness into Newcomb to become the 26th President.
TR Weekend is Newcomb’s premier event, celebrating Theodore Roosevelt’s journey out of the High Peaks wilderness from Newcomb to the White House following President McKinley’s assassination in Buffalo NY. Events are planned over the entire weekend throughout Newcomb with cultural and informative entertainment for all ages.
Theme – 125th Anniversary Celebration of Great Camp Santanoni
- “The Pruyns of Camp Santanoni” New Exhibit
- FREE Wagon Rides to Camp Santanoni
- Mountain Quilters 13th Biennial Quilt Show & Quilt Raffle
- Craft Fair
- Fishing Derby
- Float Plane Rides
- Blacksmithing Demonstratio
- Goodnow Mountain History Hike
- PBS American Experience episode “Into the Amazon”– Teddy Roosevelt’s post-presidency trip
- Local Boat Builders Demonstration of Light-Weight Solo Canoes
- Log Rolling Competition hosted by ESF & Paul Smith’s Timber Sports’ Teams
- “Go Fly a Kite!” and Ice Cream Social
- President Roosevelt stops by the Newcomb Historical Museum
- Expanding Horizons: TR after his Presidency lecture
- Ty Yandon 5K Race
- Guideboat Regatta, Rich Lake
- TR Weekend Golf Tournament
- Open House at the former Archer & Anna Huntington Lodge on Arbutus Lake
- Tahawus Mine Tour
Stay tuned and make plans to visit Newcomb, Sept 14-16, 2018. There will be something for everyone and a fun and learning experience for all.
Go to the event website for a detailed schedule!